Saturday, June 29, 2024

Lessons Embedded in the Heart (Episode 3)

 Lessons Embedded in the Heart

Episode 3



The way you treat those around you carves your memory into their hearts. Both joyful and painful memories become etched within.

Memories often transition, leading individuals to replicate their own experiences with others.

I recall a time during my childhood. My late father would keep us away from a family in our village, especially during visits to our rural home at "Ubi-Ogwuma Farm Land". I was always curious about his reasons.

One afternoon, whilst my parents were busy with farm work, I and my siblings were home. Neighborhood children came by, and one mentioned a place where mangoes could be found.

To our surprise, that location was the very place we were forbidden to approach. Despite this, it seemed untouched, as evidenced by the numerous fruits on the ground. So, we gathered some mangoes and left.

On our way back, we encountered my father. He inquired about our whereabouts upon seeing the mangoes in our possession.

I honestly explained everything. Though he was upset, he insisted we return the mangoes to where we found them. Despite his anger, I couldn’t understand why he held such disdain towards that family, especially in their absence.

Subsequently, my father disclosed the cause of his animosity towards them.

He described his past as a prosperous businessman, dealing in groundnuts in the North and palm oil in the East. His recounting was filled with nostalgia.

Curiosity arose as to why he ceased this lucrative trade, recalling how it once brought joy and snacks to my peers and me.

My father elaborated on a specific incident involving a canoe belonging to that family, which marked the beginning of his troubles.

Eager for details, I pressed on.

He recounted how accusations against him of using the canoe for nefarious purposes led to a major financial downfall, as he struggled to clear his name through expensive traditional oaths.

We were left speechless by his story. It revealed the profound impact of the incident on his life and the lasting bitterness it wrought, despite his initial reluctance to share this with us.

This unfortunate tale from my father's life has imprinted a significant lesson upon me, motivating me to document it.

Indeed, many memories shape and serve as our legacy.

READ: EPISODE 4


2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of something

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete

Time and Season

  Time and Season (Episode 4) Daily Life Experience Written by: Engineer Stanley The persistent rain seemed endless, compelling me to wait...